Thursday 22 March 2012

On my reading table - Jane Packer's Flower Course

 This weekend my dahlias were finally blooming profusely enough that I was able to pick a big bunch of them and stuff a vase really full. I've been wanting to do that all summer. Another thing I'd been wanting to do was learn how to arrange flowers 'properly', ie so that they stay where I put them in the vase and don't flop all over the place.

 Jane Packer's Flower Course covers the basics in flower arranging, with step by step photographic tutorials of techniques including a flat bouquet and a classic hand tied bouquet.

 It also has plenty of eye candy in the form of beautiful photos, showing different examples of the techniques.

It's definitely on the 'floristy' side of flower arranging, with a chapter devoted to wedding bouquets and buttonholes. But the pretty pictures were enough to inspire me, and if I can actually master the hand tied bouquet, I'll be in business!

I'm linking up to HolleyGarden's monthly book review post - click here for other garden books to read!

6 comments:

  1. Your Dahlias look delightful! Shared at http://www.facebook.com/HamiltonDahlia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary! It took all summer for them to really get going this year.

      Delete
  2. Your dahlias are gorgeous! I'm going to look for this book. I rarely bring flowers into my home from the garden, simply because I don't know how to arrange them to look beautiful. I need this course on flower arranging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes flower arranging is a lot harder than it would seem! But pretty pictures always help :)

      Delete
  3. The toadstools on my front lawn look amazing when displayed here along with the other more beautiful photos! Well done,Ruth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are amazing! You must have worked really hard to get them looking so fancy ;)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...