Thursday 1 May 2008

Tomato relish recipe


Tomato relish cooking
Originally uploaded by ghostmyst

2 tart apples, peeled and cored
1 kg tomatoes, skinned and roughly chopped
2 medium onions, peeled and chopped
200g sultanas, finely chopped
200g sugar
400ml vinegar
3 tsp mustard powder
3 tsp ginger
3 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

1. Combine all ingredients except sultanas in a large saucepan. Simmer till apples and tomatoes are tender.

2. Rub through coarse sieve or puree in blender (this is optional! I never bother with this step because I like my relish chunky). Return to saucepan.

3. Stir in sultanas and boil till desired consistency is reached. Thicken with flour/water paste if necessary. Bottle and seal.


This is, quite honestly, the best damn relish you will ever taste. I used all the tomatoes I grew this year (cherry, red, yellow, green) and they all taste great, although it does pay to separate the colours if you want your finished product not to be too muddy looking. Enjoy! And if you have a favourite relish recipe, please tell me about it!

1 comment:

  1. My grandma would call this "last of the garden" relish. I don't grow tomatoes so I have no green one but this does sound tasty.

    When our summer gets running I'll have to make my zucchini relish, it's very good as well.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...