Wednesday 14 May 2008

Cashew and Potato Curry


I made this curry for tea last night and it was very very good. I was going to email the recipe to a bunch of people but then I thought, much easier to post it here and just direct everyone. I adapted the recipe a bit, as you do, so I'm writing the recipe as it was originally (I tore it from a magazine) with my adaptations there as well.

CASHEW AND POTATO CURRY

2 tbsp oil
2 brown onions, sliced - no onions for me!
2 tbsp ginger
2-3 cloves chopped garlic
1 tsp yellow mustard seeds - I used black
1 tsp fennel seeds
1/2 tsp tumeric
1/2 tsp hot chilli powder - no hot chilli for me either!
3 cups vegetable stock
500g potatoes, peeled, chopped
350g kumara (sweet potato), peeled, chopped - I didn't have any so just used more spuds
1 cup frozen peas - I found about 5 pods in the garden so used those
50g baby spinach leaves - I used Bright Lights, fresh from the garden, and don't worry - you won't taste it at all!

CASHEW PASTE
3/4 cup salted roasted cashew nuts - I used a packet of chopped peanuts
3/4 cup plain yoghurt - I used Greek
1/4 cup coriander leaves - I didn't have any so used 1 tbsp powdered coriander
2 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp curry powder

To make paste, process nuts in food processor for 2 minutes, or until mixture forms a paste. Add remaining ingredients and process until well combined. - Not having a food processor or mortar and pestle (shame!), I just mixed them in a bowl with a spoon.

Heat oil in large saucepan. Add onions, ginger, garlic and seeds. Cook for 2 minutes or until onions are soft. Add tumeric and chilli. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add stock and potatoes. Bring to boil. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes (until potato is tender).

Stir in peas, cashew paste and spinach. Simmer, uncovered for 5 minutes, until peas are tender and curry is hot.

That's it! I thought it was going to end up very liquidy, what with having 3 cups of stock, but once everything was all added it thickened up quite nicely. Oh - it makes a LOT too - we got 4 good sized servings out of it and you could probably get 6 medium ones.



3 comments:

  1. Saw your blog site in the Avenues magazine today and decided to have a look. Tried to print out the recipe for cashew and potato curry but so far it only spat out the first page grrr.... computers. I also love the little white painted shelving to display treasures. I'd like one like that too. Have a rose and gold teaset sitting in a cupboard. I'd leave my email address but am not sure if its going to show up publicly - as it says underneath this post a comment "publich"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I'm glad the article made you want to stop by my blog! This is a great recipe and it can be adapted as well to use what is in season. Do you have Microsoft Word on your computer - maybe you could copy the recipe text and paste it into Word, then just print from that. (That's usually how I print recipes from blogs).
      Thanks for leaving a comment, it's nice to hear from you!
      Ruth

      Delete
  2. totally making this this weekend, i need a new curry recipe and i heart potatoes and cashews very much!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...