Sunday 20 March 2011

Harvest dinner

 
This is the post I meant to share nearly a month ago, before the damn earthquake interrupted everything. Anyway, here are the results of a late summer harvest... Desiree potatoes, zucchini, red onion, carrots, basil, chilli and assorted tomatoes.

I chopped them and put them in a dish, then made up a white sauce and poured it over the top.

A bit of grated cheese, bake it in the oven and then... yum! I served it with some crumbed chicken and a tomato salad.

Remember those blueberries I picked one day? I did make friands and they were delicious too. The rest of the blueberries went into the freezer, although sadly I had to take them out when we lost power. I ended up taking them to my mum's so they weren't completely wasted, I'm a little disappointed that I won't get to use them myself but glad that they weren't just thrown out like some of our food had to be. Anyway, I know my mum will enjoy them and maybe there will be some yummy blueberry treats waiting for me next time I visit! Till then I'll be savouring the memory of that friand.

4 comments:

  1. Looks fabulous. Glad you got to try the friands. The recipe works well with raspberries on top as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey great harvest Ruth, isn't it a great feeling when you can make a meal from the harvest in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The chilli is particularly impressive and you've got some interesting tomatoes there too. It's a wonderful thing to be able to sit down to your own vegetables for a meal. I didn't think about all the food in the freezer you would have lost. I guess that was just the beginning of things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks you guys... yes I love this time of year, just go out, pick a few things and cook them into something lovely and fresh! I wish summer could last all year round...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...