Monday 26 August 2013

I call spring!

 It seems too good to be true for the latter half of August, but I have to call it: spring is here! We've had ridiculously warm temperatures, and blooms and bulbs and blossoms are popping out all over the place. My heart lights up when I pull into my driveway and see the gorgeous frilly pastel confection spilling out of the garden here. It's ridiculously girly and over the top, and when the camellias have a bit more growth on them it will be even pinker!

 There are a mixture of early daffodils here along with these blue star flowers that I'm never sure of the correct name for. The foliage has a very pungent smell when brushed against but the flowers are pretty enough to make up for it.

 There are also some pink hyacinths in here but I might shift them as they are being buried in all the foliage.

 Elsewhere, I have more daffodils and some blossoms on the almond tree. Not very many this year on either of the trees, I'm not sure why that would be. Maybe they're giving themselves a year off like the apples do sometimes.

 The strawberries hardly take any time off though and here is Pink Temptation ripening the first berry of the season! I'm looking forward to fresh berries in my breakfast again.

A cold snap is in the forecast for later this week. Hopefully it doesn't last long, I'd hate it if we've had all the good spring weather already! But right now, the warm air is making me happy.

This post is in memory of Granny Cosgrove, an amazing lady who will be sadly missed.

8 comments:

  1. Looks lovely. Funny though - I was hoping you'd know the name of those blue flowers as I have some too and didn't know the name!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just call them 'blue star flowers' which seems appropriate :)

      Delete
  2. I agree - spring is here, too! I was just looking at my front garden with all the flowers shining in the sun and there's no way I could call it winter. I do like your first photo with the rows of daffodils and blue stars (Ipheion unifolium as far as I know)and am wondering if I could do something similar, as mine are in separate clumps right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for identifying the flowers Lyn! I just googled it and that is indeed them. Mine started off in clumps too but the clumps multiply a LOT every year! I don't think I'll spread them to other parts of the garden in case they take over but they are good where they are now, and have been a very economical way to fill the space.

      Delete
  3. You lucky girl you - having spring and summer to look forward to!
    Ingrid

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I love this time of year - so full of hope and anticipation!

      Delete
  4. I just love to visit your blog at this time of year...and in the next month...fall will be starting here soon...and then snow...always love to visit your blog and see your Spring/ Summer garden growing when ours is drying up and soon will be under snow...:-)Beautiful spring flowers...so green and fresh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robbie. I've been enjoying your blog a lot too the past couple of months. It's always good to get inspiration for the coming seasons!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...