Thursday 15 August 2013

August flowers

I've got plenty of late winter flowers to show you this month. Over the past couple of years I've worked on building up my winter garden by planting hellebores, camellias and daphne, and every year I add a few bulbs. The shrubs are a year more mature and this, combined with an unusually warm July and start of August, has meant that there is plenty of colour and interest in the garden. And scent! Daphnes, potted cyclamen and earlycheer daffodils mean that I can perfume every room.

Today the weather was balmy and if I hadn't been at work I would have been able to capture even more blooms opening in the garden. Driving home I noticed blossom trees, magnolias and bulbs galore. I'm not kidding myself that winter is over, but it's on its way!

I'm linking up to Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day at May Dreams Gardens.


8 comments:

  1. Beautiful flowers!
    I see you have Cyclamen - I really must try growing them again.
    Happy GBBD!
    Lea
    Lea's Menagerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lea! That little cyclamen is a winter flowering one. It's quite delicate and usually only puts up 2-3 flowers. I'm hoping it will spread a bit over the years so I get a few more blooms from it! I have lots of autumn flowering cyclamen too and they are clumping up well. The leaves are just as decorative as the flowers.

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous flowers. We have a few daffodils out and my fresias are nearly flowering too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this time of year in the garden... so much promise everywhere :)

      Delete
  3. Hello! I'm visiting from the Bloom Day linkup. It's so refreshing to see daffodils and violas right now! We're in the middle of the end-of-summer heat wave where I live (Washington state, USA). I love your flower arrangements, especially the one in the middle with the hellebores.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linnae! Hope looking at my photos has cooled you down a bit! I always enjoy looking at opposite-season photos as it gives me ideas for the months ahead.

      Delete
  4. I love all the spring flowers! Although in the middle of summer here in London, I can easily bring back all the excitement of early spring with daffodils and crocuses and hellebores. To be honest, my garden here in London has a bit of a spring feeling, with around 20 primroses in full flower and one hellebore flowering for the last 2 weeks! My plants are a bit season confused!
    Loved the photo of the vase, and your multi-stem daffodils are gorgeous, what are they called?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helene! Yes there is nothing like spring flowers to lift the spirits. The daffodils are called early cheer, which I've also seen spelled earlycheer, erlicheer etc. They are that pretty pale yellow and have a strong and gorgeous scent!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...