Monday 12 August 2013

Fresh is best

Well, winter is nearly over (she says optimistically) and it hasn't really been too bad - pretty mild really. We had a wet start to it in June though and I got out of the habit of picking fresh lettuce for my lunchtime sandwich, and it was too wet and dark when I got home at night to pick fresh things to cook tea with. So without my regular vitamin and mineral fix from the garden, I got sick. I was sick for most of July - one cold after another, which totally slammed me by the end of it. When I could stand again I dragged my sniffly ass out into the garden and picked all the fresh things I could find - mostly silver beet, but I also found a lovely purple broccoli head, some spring onions and some herbs. These were turned into various dishes including stir fry and a self crusting quiche, and I've been making sure to pick a few lettuce leaves when I make my lunch in the mornings. They may be slightly tough and a little bitter, but they are better than the sad supermarket lettuces any day! And I'm happy to say I've finally fought off the bugs and am keeping them at bay.

July was unusually warm, sadly I didn't make the most of it although I have managed to pick a lot of flowers. It's starting to feel like spring will be here soon so I need to get on with some tidying-up kind of jobs - I have done some weeding and mulching, hooray - before it's seed sowing time. In fact, I should really sow some lettuces this weekend.

How are things in your garden? Any tips on keeping the winter bugs away?

4 comments:

  1. Over here, summer is still going strong but we all know it's soon over and autumn will come. I eat 'rainbow food' all year round to keep the sniffles at bay - as colourful food as possible and as much fruit and vegetables as I can afford. I grow some in my garden but most of it I have to buy. Last time I had a cold was in 2005, I am convinced it works!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must work indeed! I don't usually get sick and I do make an effort to eat fresh food year round, I just didn't try hard enough this year. Lesson learned!

      Delete
  2. So sorry to hear you were sick this winter. I keep forgetting our seasons are the opposite. You are starting spring when we are starting fall. Not being outside and lack of food from the garden weakens my immune system every winter! You will soon be out in the sunshine which makes one feel so much better! Your picture of Swiss Chard and purple broccoli head is beautiful.Just start eating all those spring greens after a long winter is the best way to fight those winter bugs and it sounds like you have beat them....robbie:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right about the sunshine. There is not much that sitting in a patch of sunlight can't cure :) I think the silver beet cured my ills and the good news is that the weather has been so mild lately, the lettuces and other veges are growing at a better pace than usual! Salad days ahead!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...