Monday 11 June 2012

Snow and sand








Ok, well as you can see it did happen! Snow hit on Wednesday and made a big cold mess. I managed to get away before it got too heavy and drove south where eventually it cleared, the sun came out and it was a nice (but cold) winters day.

My poor garden looks quite sad now. The dahlias are soggy black stems and many shrubs and bushes have been flattened. The peppers and chillis that had remained are piles of mush, but the cauliflowers have survived and I even picked the first one of the season today.

I spent a few days spending time with family in Timaru after visiting Dunedin for a funeral. A sad time but nice to catch up with people. Caroline Bay was almost empty on a sunny afternoon, which is my favourite way to find a beach... peaceful, serene, beautiful.

Today was cold and everywhere I went (supermarket, butcher's etc) people were talking about more snow. I'm not listening though... if I don't hear it it won't happen... I'll stick my fingers in my ears... lalalala.

6 comments:

  1. Looks pretty despite the cold wet mess! Enjoy your caulis :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made cauliflower cheese sauce with the first of the caulis... it was delish! Looking forward to scoffing the rest of them too.

      Delete
  2. Oh, brrr! The beach looks nice - it must have been good to be able to get away for a while. I hope all the talk about more snow turns out to be just false rumor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I was very glad to be out of it, I can tell you! So far the snow talk has come to nothing, though we have had rain and hail!

      Delete
  3. You know from in the northern hemisphere it's so hard to fathom snow in June. However, in the 32 C days we have had, that snow looks divine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 32 degrees... I think I can just remember what that is like! Shame we can't swap for a day!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...