Sunday 15 November 2015

November flowers

 Welcome to my November flowers post! Today the weather was pretty cold and gloomy - it was overcast all day, a cold wind blew and as soon as I left my house to go for a walk spits of rain began to fall. The month overall has been cold - we had our coldest morning on record earlier this month, and there was even frost! My garden didn't sustain much damage, just in a couple of random patches - one bean seedling, and a blackened patch on top of a dahlia. Most of my bean seedlings weren't through at that stage and the most tender things like tomatoes and capsicums are in the glasshouse. Some early rosebuds were a bit crispy around the petal edges but the fruit trees seem to be fine. But it was a bit of a shock to the system - frost in November, what??

Luckily there has been plenty of sunshine in the mix and the flower garden seems to be getting on with things according to its usual schedule. It's usually the end of November before all the roses are blooming, but there are some early birds in there to make me happy. Peony season is also in its beginning stages, although most of the transplants I put in a couple of months ago haven't budded... guess I'll have to patiently wait another year for those.

Anyway, there is plenty to pick and admire, like in the grid above! Clockwise from top left: Gilia birdseye; blue and white aquilegia; Cecile Brunner rose; snowball viburnum; Queen Elizabeth rose; sweet williams; white aquilegia; a frilly peony poppy; lupins; a pretty pansy taking on the hue from the surrounding Snow in Summer; pink aquilegia; Sexy Rexy rose.

 This pink rose is outside my front door and it makes me happy every time I walk past it. I don't know the variety as it was grown from a cutting, but it does very well in this sunny spot. It was the first to flower in spring and the last to flower in winter. So far it seems very healthy too with it's nice glossy leaves!

This lovely bush is common sage, planted in my herb garden. It's formed a large round ball which is covered with these fragrant mauve flowers, just lovely to brush against. In fact it's so big that it's probably time to divide it up, I'm sure I can find some other spots in the garden that could use a show stopper like this.

That's it for my November garden. The weather may be less than average but the flowers are floriferous so all is good! I'm joining in again with Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day at May Dreams Gardens.

8 comments:

  1. All those pinks and blues, so pretty!
    Happy Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day!
    Lea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lea, I'm always happy when the garden starts turning pink again! :)

      Delete
  2. Frost? You have it much colder than us these days Ruth! Over here we are having 14-18 degrees during the day and 10-12 during the night – although next week it’s said to be a few days with colder weather before it gets milder again – but you are supposed to have late spring! Hope it gets warmer for you soon :-) Loved your pink rose, such a nice colour and shape. Have a good Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How weird, it's like the seasons have been reversed between us... give me back my spring! :D Glad you are enjoying some mild weather anyway. xx

      Delete
  3. These are some great colors. Spring is so full of beauty! We lost a few veggies and the dahlia starts got frosted, too, but that's the way it goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, hopefully the weather will settle down now and get back on track!

      Delete
  4. So pretty! Meanwhile, in upstate New York, it is fall. Today it was sunny (not usual for November) and unseasonably mild - I was able to sit in my backyard and read your blog. Happy GBBD and may your spring brighten up soon Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds so nice, there is nothing like a warm day in a typically cold month to cheer you up! Hope you get some more days like that before the season changes again.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...