This is a footstool cover I made recently. I wanted to make a sort of sampler of rows of different stitches and colours. I imagined it being a good winter evening project, with my interest being held by the changing stitches. Well, it was really fun to work, so much so that I had it finished in a week. That includes sewing in all the ends - that's how keen I was to get this baby on display!
I worked double crochet in white around the edges and began decreasing around the corners from the 5th round. One thing I know from having made a footstool cover before is that it will stretch and eventually begin to sag, so I made it fit as tightly as possible.
There are a range of stitches in here, mostly double and half double crochet. Some rows were worked in the back loops only to leave a textured line. I also did shell clusters, spike stitch and a few lacy stitches.
I have seen some vintage blankets which use this technique - it's a great stash buster, and maybe a blanket would work up quite fast. Anyway I do suggest it if you have a hankering to try out some new stitches - it's very fulfilling.