Friday 11 May 2012

Crochet vintage stripe footstool

 This is a footstool cover I made recently. I wanted to make a sort of sampler of rows of different stitches and colours. I imagined it being a good winter evening project, with my interest being held by the changing stitches. Well, it was really fun to work, so much so that I had it finished in a week. That includes sewing in all the ends - that's how keen I was to get this baby on display!

 I worked double crochet in white around the edges and began decreasing around the corners from the 5th round. One thing I know from having made a footstool cover before is that it will stretch and eventually begin to sag, so I made it fit as tightly as possible.

There are a range of stitches in here, mostly double and half double crochet. Some rows were worked in the back loops only to leave a textured line. I also did shell clusters, spike stitch and a few lacy stitches.

I have seen some vintage blankets which use this technique - it's a great stash buster, and maybe a blanket would work up quite fast. Anyway I do suggest it if you have a hankering to try out some new stitches - it's very fulfilling.

6 comments:

  1. Ruth, thats really lovely, all the different stitches look great together!. also love that owl vase!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rach! I call the vase the Stern Owl because he has such a serious expression on his face. I like to counteract it by putting really frilly, blowsy flowers in him!

      Delete
  2. What a great idea! And you've done such a pretty cover for the stool; it's lovely...the colours and stitches go well together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol! It's a lot prettier now than when it was just brown vinyl covering the stool!

      Delete
  3. you've done a beautiful job. I'm learning to knit at the mo, but am busting to learn crochet-so it's great to be able to see lts of different kind of stitches all together like this. right off to stalk your blog for this brick paved potager (I've always wanted one of those) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Max, this would be a great beginners project as you get to try lots of different stitches! Thanks for visiting my blog - hope you enjoy it.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...